Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Teachable Moment

"Son of a bitch!" a boy I didn't know swore loudly when confronted with a locked door across the hall.

I tapped sternly on the window. He looked at me hopefully and came to the door. I grabbed my keys. "What do you need Cussy Cusser?" I asked.

He looked confused, but then his cheeks brightened. "That wasn't me!" he said. "But I need to get into that classroom-- my phone's in there!"

"Then you're going to need to own up to what you said," I told him, jingling my keys.

"I said, Dang it!" he tried.

"That's not what I heard," I said.

He stood uncertainly.

"What I heard started with, Son of..." I prompted him helpfully.

"Well, usually I say Son of a mother!" he replied.

"Maybe," I answered, "but not this time."

"Oh, okay!" he said in desperation. "I said it, I said it, okay? And I shouldn't talk that way in school, I know!"

 "How are we going to make sure it doesn't happen again?" I asked as I opened the door.

"It won't!" he assured me. "This was way too much trouble."

Unfortunately, his phone was not in there. "Oh sh--" he stopped and looked at me. "oot!" he finished.

"Nice save," I said. "Maybe your phone's in the office."

No comments:

Post a Comment