Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Language Barrier

One of my students stopped by this morning to ask me a question about her English grade. I was right in the middle of something and my homeroom students were coming in, so I recommended she speak to me when she came to our class later in the day.

"Ask me in English," I told her.

She looked confused and repeated her question.

"I promise I will answer you when you ask me in English," I said.

She repeated her question again.

I raised my eyebrows and looked at her. "What did I just tell you?"

"You said to ask you in English," she answered, "but I am asking in English."

It took me a minute, but then I started to laugh. "I mean English the class, not English the language!"

"Oh..." she said. "Well that makes more sense!"

No comments:

Post a Comment