Friday, June 2, 2017

Sold Out

I was a little concerned about sending the information for our end-of-the-year activities out with less than three weeks to go. So often over the last 25 years I have found myself counting pennies and making phone calls the night before a trip just to be sure that everyone was included.

But this year our team decided to give the students a choice of activities, one on campus and one off. The field trip was a repeat of last year's selfie scavenger hunt and IMAX movie, and based on an interest survey, I booked one 55 passenger coach. The rest of the students would get to enjoy some fun summer-camp style activities back at school.

"Space for the scavenger hunt is limited," I told the kids yesterday, "and it will be first-come-first-served, so if that's what you want, make sure you bring your money and signed permission slip as soon as you can to guarantee your spot." And with that, I turned my mind to fixing flawed test rosters and modified schedules.

I should have known something was different when a couple of kids waved twenties at me on my way in this morning. "I sent some kids away from your door," a colleague told me inside, "and told them to come back at 7:40." As soon as the bell rang, a line formed at my desk and out the door, and by 7:55? The trip was sold out. I had collected 1000 dollars in payment and scholarship donations.

By the end of the day, the bus company and IMAX theater were paid in full. I'm stunned and relieved, but my heart goes out to the kids who want to go and can't.

BUT... I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment