Thursday, July 21, 2016

Poolosophical

There was a little sibling bickering at the pool this afternoon between Richard and Annabelle, followed by a philosophical discussion about treating people the way you want to be treated, rather than as they have treated you.

"You must want me to grab that noodle right out of your hand!" said Richard to his sister, "Since that what you did to me!"

"You must want me to hit you in the face with the noodle!" replied Annabelle, "Since that's what you did to me!"

"No no no," I told them both calmly.  "That's a rule for each of us to follow for ourselves, not to use to judge others."

"I want people to treat me the way I want to be treated," Richard said innocently. "How do I know by how they're acting that that's not what they want, too?"

He's a smart one, that kid. "Have you ever heard of reverse psychology?" I asked him.

And that was another conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment