Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Boxing Day in July

On the last day of school I still had kids writing to make the 100 Day Challenge, and I think that's awesome. I'm only sorry I have to draw the line somewhere and disappoint those writers with 96 days. Oh, one could argue that they had plenty of time and notice, but sometimes it takes a while to get going, and they definitely got going. (Plus, they are only 11 or 12 years old and that planning thing is definitely an emerging skill.)

When all was said and done, I had 12 kids who got the prize of ordering the whimsical t-shirt of their choice from a popular website. Since I waited to the end to see who made it, I also had to wait to the end to put my order in. Most of the shirts are custom-printed, and they finally arrived last week right before I returned from vacation.

I've developed a system over the years where I give kids an order form to fill out with their selection, size, and address, and then when I mail the shirts in the summer I write a personal note on the back of their form and include it in the package. Yesterday I went to the post office to pick up the boxes and labels, and today was the day when I sorted the order, composed the notes, addressed the labels, and boxed everything up.

Tomorrow, in literally my last official duty of the 2015-16 school year, they will be sent on their way. But for an hour or so on this hot, hot summer day, I considered each of those twelve writers fondly, admired their clever t-shirt choices, and strived to compose the perfect note to capture how proud I was of their accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment