Wednesday, May 4, 2016

X is for eX-tra Sensory Perception (and X-ray)

The first x-ray I ever had was in 7th grade. The date was Friday, January 3, a day that I strongly believed that

I.
should.
not.
be.
in school.

And yet, there I was on the second day of a two-day school week, RIGHT AFTER WINTER BREAK!'

"Why can't they just give us two more days, which would be four more days, of vacation?" I asked my mother on New Year's Day. 

"You have to go back sometime," she said, "why not tomorrow?"

"Because it's dumb!" I answered. "I really don't want to go!"

The whole conversation was silly, because I really did like school-- I guess I just liked vacation better. That night I had a dream that I broke my arm. When I told my mother, she said I still had to go to school.

As far as I remember, the first day back was fine, but on the second day, we were playing Steal the Bacon Basketball in PE and when my number was called, instead of grabbing the ball, dribbling down the court, and scoring before my opponent, I fell in front of everybody and took the walk of shame back to the line after the other kid made the basket.

It was then I noticed how strange my arm looked, U-shaped, almost like the pipe under the sink, and how much it hurt, too. When I showed my gym teacher his eyes grew wide and he looked like he might barf.

"Let's get you to the nurse!" he said.

A couple of hours later I was getting that x-ray, and soon after, a cast all the way past my elbow.

"I told you I shouldn't go to school this week!" I told my mom.

Life Lesson: “Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.” ~Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

No comments:

Post a Comment