Tuesday, March 29, 2016

She's Seen the Sights

News today that Patty Duke has died. For some reason this passing rather upsets me. It's not that I'm a huge fan, or anything, but I always enjoyed the re-runs of The Patty Duke Show that aired on nearly every afternoon of my childhood. Despite Patty's spunk, I was definitely team Cathy; I can still sing the song, which introduced me to Zanzibar, minuets, crepes suzette, and Brooklyn Heights, by the way.

It's true Patty Duke hasn't been around much in the last few years, although I loved her role as Meredith Baxter's wife on the last season of Glee. After that, I followed her on Twitter where she became more of a real person to me, tweeting and retweeting about nature and space, politics, the issues she advocated, and her friends and family. She was always gracious to the fans who reached out to her.

Of course her death was too soon: 69 seems ever younger, and the world just seems a little emptier knowing that Patty Duke is gone.

6 comments:

  1. She did great work educating the public about mental illness, too. Sixty-nine is very young to go. Funny how the older you get, the younger that seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just learned something about her today - thank you for that great little slice about her! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Too young, too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hadn't heard this. It makes me so sad!! I loved watching her on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 69 IS young. It is way too soon to pass from this Earth.

    I have the full intention of living into my 90's (same with my immediate family). So long as I have a good quality of life and my faculties, I look forward to a long life.

    ReplyDelete