Tuesday, June 9, 2015

And I Know It

We had our annual visit from my favorite guest poet today and the kids really enjoyed the activities. Just as gratifying, he was impressed with their imagination and creativity, too, and attributed it to my teaching. Aw shucks!

As always, I grabbed the chance to participate with my students as a fellow writer. Here's my poem for the day:

Poems are useless-- 
unless they are fresh like tomatoes off the vine,
or pickled like Brussels sprouts,
or black like t-shirts,
soft like number 2 pencils,
cellos and ukuleles.
I want poetry that climbs Sargent Mountain,
changes my sheets every day,
brings me puppies and kittens,
takes me to Paris.
Words like sweet potato empanadas,
Grandma's fried chicken,
down pillows on Sunday morning.
I'm a quiet poet,
quiet in the chaos of a sixth grade classroom,
watching my students,
sipping inspiration like air.

Poems are useless--
unless they are black crows on white snow,
a scarecrow in an empty field,
four leaf clovers or wild blueberries.
I want poetry hot out of the oven,
poetry that pedals madly down Superman Hill,
o bushwhacks to the top of the mountain
collapsing on the warm granite ledge.
I am not a poet,
but I am a bowl of plums
cold from the ice box;
I am Emily Dickinson's night gown:
my words smart, insurgent, 
goliath, crusading.

Poems are useless--
unless they wear tie-dye,
rise like the moon over Lake Lugano,
or brew a potion of dragon spit and candy corn.
I want poetry that teaches me to play the drums
in a cafe in Montreal,
rocks me like a hammock in the shade,
snorkels into a lost cave filled with pirate treasure.
I am a poet like the midnight wind
that blows open the french doors,
like the gold finches flitting in the river birches.
Words will knock you down
like an old farm house in a tornado,
and when you get back up,
say, "Good."

No comments:

Post a Comment