Wednesday, February 4, 2015

For Want of a Pencil

It's a tough call.

We want our students to be responsible and bring the supplies they need to class, BUT we also want them to do the work. What does a stubborn teacher accomplish when she refuses to provide a pencil to a student without? Most of the time it's just a kid sitting there doing nothing, usually distracting others, because, let's face it, if they want to do the work? They'll find a pencil.

On the other hand, if we just give pencils out whenever someone doesn't have one, not many kids will see the need to bring one. What kind of life lesson is that?

These days, my strategy is to provide but inform. When someone asks for a pencil more than once or twice, I hand it over, but I also email their parents. In general, it works, and in fact just yesterday I got the best reply ever:

OH MY LORD, Ms. S. I am sorry you had to write the email. I will make sure this air head of my son will gather the thousands of pencils he leaves all around the house and bring to school.

May the power be with you.

And today?

That kid had a pencil.

1 comment:

  1. From crushed iPads to missing pencils! You sure run the gamut of school supplies! (Enjoyed both posts.)

    ReplyDelete