Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Analogy for the Season

"How is school so far? How are the kids?" Kind friends and family ask me this question often at this time of year.

Historically, I have never been much more than lukewarm in my response. "They're okay," I say with varying degrees of enthusiasm, some genuine, some not. 

The truth is that it's hard to say at this point, and it's really not fair to draw any conclusions. If I were to compare them to past years, it wouldn't be to how those other students were in September. No, I remember the other kids as they were in May and June, after we'd worked together for months to forge a community of learning. The time before I knew them and they knew me is just a vague memory.

And so I try to be patient with the new group, and I've decided that a good frame of reference might be the online course I use with my classes. In September, it's bare bones, just a few starter assignments and a couple of basic topics to post in. Every year though, it grows into something similar to the years before, but also unique to the individual creativity, interests and opinions of the kids whose writing shapes it. When I set it up each year, I focus on its potential rather than its emptiness.

And the same should apply to those squirrely strangers filling up the seats in my room and chattering constantly over my directions. They'll come along. (The only question is, When??)

2 comments:

  1. See, in the Waldorf schools, we don't have this problem. The same students keep coming back to you year after year...and you just keep growing together with no mysteries, interruptions, or judgements.

    I remember how bittersweet the end of the school year felt when I was teaching. It took until about February for me to feel that the students and I got to know each other more deeply and the wheels of the learning process were fully turning. Then a few weeks later, we had to bid them farewell...
    Love your insights...love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rou! I know you've been there.

    ReplyDelete