Thursday, May 15, 2014

To Tell the Truth

I forgive the three eighth grade girls who came to writing club today for doing more talking than writing. They are practically founding members of the group, and their middle school days are dwindling, probably inversely to the speed in which they converse is accelerating. I had an interview activity in mind, but they just kind of used it as a spring board to chatter.

Somehow the whole meeting devolved into a few rounds of truth or dare after one of them asked the group, What's your secret best strategy for playing any game? as her interview question. They've dropped the silent 'e' from dare, though, in one of those relentless ribbings you give your friends over little things like a typo in an onscreen chat, so we played truth or dar. 

Mary took truth-- What character from a book you've read would you most like to marry?-- but she never did decide. (How about Atticus Finch?)

I took dare-- Do an aggressive chicken dance at the first teachers to walk in the door-- and the darlin' darer was kind enough to call a couple of my colleagues in from the hall so I could do it. To tell the truth? I kind of enjoyed viciously snapping the beaks of my two hands at them. 

All too soon our meeting was over, when through the window we saw a bus carrying some of their friends roll up. When they asked if they could go out to meet it, we were all too happy to give them our permission.

1 comment:

  1. I do like Atticus- especially when he looks like a young Gregory Peck.

    ReplyDelete