Friday, January 24, 2014

Which Way the Wind Blows

It seems that more cold weather is on the way for us. Never mind that we are we living through days of record lows, more such days are forecast for next week. At least that's what the weather reports say.

In places to the north, they are coping with lasting sub-zero temps. Around here, where it's 20 to 30 degrees warmer than that, there are plenty of folks who have neither the clothing nor shelter to safely and comfortably weather this weather, so I know I'm lucky that, for me, this cold snap is nothing more than an interesting change.

It reminds a little bit of when I was in college in upstate New York. We must have had some really cold cold days then. I couldn't say for sure, because I literally never paid any attention to the weather report then. Why would I? There was no internet, no local paper, and I didn't own a TV. Plus I lived on campus, so I just got up, looked out the window, and went with it.

Back then, if it was snowy I wore my Swiss hiking boots, jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and my blue down jacket, with gloves if I thought about it. It was never too bad. I do remember days so cold, though, that when I stepped out the door I felt the hair in my nose crisp up a little bit, and it was possible to walk across the glaze on top of the snow without ever breaking through to the fifteen inches of powder below.

What did I do? I took a deep breath, turned my face to the blue sky, shoved my hands in my pockets and went to class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment