Saturday, August 11, 2012

Hail to the Chief

The news that Romney was announcing his running mate this morning definitely piqued my interest. Maybe it's our proximity to Washington that engages me in politics, maybe it's something else, but let's just say I was the only adult of five in our group today who had any interest at all.

I'm not sure what I was hoping for when I tuned in, but I don't think it was Paul Ryan. As a liberal, I think I should be happy: Ryan is polarizing, but substantive, his record will frame an interesting debate that I think will ultimately wind up in an Obama victory. We'll see.

It's much more of a gender thing that's beginning to irritate me, though. Why can't the United States elect a woman to the executive branch of our federal government? With the current tickets set as they are, we will have to wait at least four more years to join these countries:

Argentina
Australia
Bangladesh
Bermuda
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzogovina
Brazil
Bulgaria
Burundi
Canada
Chile
Costa Rica
Dominica
East Germany
Ecuador
Finland
France
Gabon
Georgia
Germany
Great Britain
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Israel
Jamaica
Kosova
Kyrgyzstan
Latvia
Liberia
Lithuania
Malawi
Malta
Mauritus
Moldova
Mongolia
Mozambique
Netherlands Antilles
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Pakistan
Panama
Peru
People’s Republic of China
Philipines
Poland
Portugal
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
San Marino
Serbia
Senegal
South Korea
Sri Lanka
Switzerland
Tannu Tuva
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey
Ukraine
Yugoslavia

No comments:

Post a Comment