Friday, May 25, 2012

Y is for You're Definitely in My Top 131

A few of my students have started playing a silly game where they bicker loudly about which of them is my favorite. I don't think for a minute that their spectacle has anything to do with me; I am just an effigy in a drama they've invented for their own amusement.

It does make me wonder, though, about favorites. I hope all my students feel that I like them equally, although realistically I'm sure that's not true. Some kids don't really care, and others are convinced that they could never be the favored one.

I never really liked the parable of the prodigal son. I always sympathized with the guy who stayed home and did his duty and then was hurt by his father's celebration of his wayward brother. Even so, as a teacher, in an attempt to build positive relationships, I often extend a greater proportion of my time and energy to those students who are not being successful.

Does that make them my favorites? They seem to think so. At least they are willing to argue about it.

Life Lesson: It is appropriate to celebrate and be glad... for he who was lost is found again.

No comments:

Post a Comment