Wednesday, May 23, 2012

W is for Water Wings

As the year closes, my sixth grade students are grappling with theme. It is an abstract concept that requires higher order thinking to not only comprehend the elements of a given writing piece, but also to infer some greater meaning from them. Developmentally, it's a stretch for many 11 and 12 year olds.

As they work it through, I notice them clinging to cliches to keep from drowning in the depth of their own thinking. Kelly Clarkson's current hit Stronger provides quite a few life lines for the struggling-- in addition to the subtitle, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, there is also the me, myself, and I thing, as well as, it doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone.

It's a start.

Life Lesson: Water wings get you in the pool, but they keep you on the surface.



No comments:

Post a Comment