Monday, May 21, 2012

U is for Umbrella

It was a rainy spring day here today, and on such occasions, I delight in popping open my giant rainbow-striped umbrella. It enchants me because it's big and colorful and automatic: I never tire of simply pressing a button to instantly produce a huge canopy to protect me from the rain; it seems as close to a magic spell as I'll ever conjure.

When I was a child, umbrellas were way too much for me to manage; I needed a third or fourth hand to carry, open, and carry them, and getting wet seemed like a small price to pay to avoid such frustration. Even now, if there's no compelling reason to stay dry, I forgo any shield, no matter how nifty, and turn my face to the rain.

Life Lesson:  Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. ~Roger Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment