Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Obvious, Child

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and found it nearly impossible to go back to sleep. At my age, like Paul Simon said, I don't expect to sleep through the night, but I don't expect to lay awake for hours, either. For me, there's always a tipping point when I can tell that I might be up a while. It usually happens when specific things I mean to do both at home and at work start seeping into my consciousness. After that, all the meditation and relaxation breathing in the world won't let me drift off.

In our recent economic downtrend, I've often heard it said that one of the bright spots is an increase in worker productivity; companies are able to do much more with fewer employees. While that looks great on the balance book and sounds even better on the stump in this election year, I can't help wonder about the toll it's taking on the human beings involved in all that production. What is the objective?

This year, for the second in a row, my sixth grade students are participating in our own Slice of Life Challenge, and over the last four days, I've noticed a couple of bothersome trends in their posts. The first is boredom. So many of them write about being chronically bored. Ironically, the second is stress. They feel anxious and over-extended.

I don't think the two are unrelated. It's hard to feel engaged in anything with so much hanging over your head.

At least they're sleeping, though.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm - I can relate to both the boredom and the stress part. I'm going to have to reflect on why that is and why it seems to happen on the weekend. It is sad that our students are feeling that, though. It'll be interesting to analyze why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say we should deal with we can change and let go of what we have no control over. The challenge seems to be -identifying accurately those specific elements. As Paul Simon also sang.'Try a new plan Stan...' There is a sense real honesty in your writing that I like. I also sense a concern for your students.
    It's part of being a writer to write about both the 'mud' and the 'flowers.' Thanks for sharing this piece.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete