Thursday, July 21, 2011

In Support of Courteous Discourse OR Watch Your Tone, Buddy

There's just something about the anonymity of the internet that brings out the worst in some people.

For instance I like to read a certain blog; published by a former news writer/producer and focusing only on what's happening in our small county, to the exclusion of the larger metro area we are a part of, it has a lot of information I might otherwise miss. As much as I appreciate the inside tidings, though, I try never to read the comments on any of the stories, because I'm usually discouraged (and sometimes shocked) by the negative, vitriolic tone adopted by so many people who post.

As an example, there was a story published today about the departure of one of the assistant superintendents for our school system. The brief piece was accompanied by a photograph and stated simply that he was leaving and gave an overview of his accomplishments while he was on the job. Here's a sample of the comments:

That is an immensely creepy picture.

yep, creeeeeepy!

From the picture he looks awfully young to “retire.” Are taxpayers now going to have to pay gold-plated pension benefits for the next 30 years for him?

Ever hear of “early retirement,” Or “Just for Men” hair dye?

That’s like one of those real estate agent pictures — way old. He’s put on at least 50 pounds since that picture was shot.

That explains the size of the picture, then–it was taken in the 1960s

He looks like Jack Black.

Umm, why are so many high level school district leaders leaving?

rats fleeing a sinking ship? or the pay is crap

Such comments are an issue I struggle with as a teacher who administers a blog and discussion board for my students. I want them to express their thoughts and ideas in writing, and I want them to do so freely, but I also want the discourse to be respectful and relevant, so what happens is, I often take students aside to discuss their intentions when they have posted remarks that don't fit my idea of courtesy. I don't censor them, but usually they edit themselves.

Seems like those guys on that blog need a little talking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment