Monday, May 30, 2011

7 is for Heads Up 7 Up

Did you ever play this game in school? The teacher chooses seven kids to begin, and the rest of the class puts their heads down (they are supposed to close their eyes, too) and one of their thumbs up. In fact, the teacher says, "Heads down, thumbs up!" to begin each round. The chosen seven roam the room; they must surreptitiously tap someone on the head and return to the front. Once tapped, your thumb goes down. When all seven kids are back in front, the teacher asks the seven who were tapped to stand. Now they must guess who tapped them, and if they are correct, they take the tapper's place in the next round.

Okay:

What...
is...
the...
point...
of...
THAT...
game!?

I ask both as a teacher and a former kid.

Here are my kid questions first: Doesn't it seem like the teacher always picks her favorites to begin? Then, those kids usually just pick their friends, right? Seriously, some kids never get to play.  Next, people cheat and peek at the shoes going by to try and figure out who tapped them, don't they? Finally, even if someone guesses right, the tapper can always lie-- nobody's keeping track. What's up with that?

Here is my teacher question about this game: What is the objective here? (It can be very loose, I don't care, just give me a hint what you were thinking.) Why do we play this game?

Life Lesson: Question authority.

3 comments:

  1. We never played this game in my school. If we did, I think I would hope to be one of the kids who didn't get to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know, Mike. You might have been a natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just blog surfing and yours came up. Not only do I totally remember playing this game (although I had completely forgotten until reading this) but I also remember doing the "shoe cheat" too! Too funny! My guess is that it was a tool to keep the kids occupied for awhile so the teacher could regroup! I enjoyed reading this!
    Kyla Kreates

    ReplyDelete