Tuesday, July 20, 2010

No Complaints

I prepared my first meal with the majority of ingredients from my garden tonight. A nice vegetable stew with tomatoes, anaheim peppers, eggplant, squash, and okra-- seasoned with onion, garlic, and basil, and served over brown rice, it was a fine meal.

This is the time of the year when everything seems to explode in growth. Having been away from home for ten days and leaving town for another nine tomorrow, the progress of all the plants astonished and gladdened me when I went to check this morning. Our flowers have spread to fill their bed; our cucumbers, pumpkins and zucchini finally look as if they will amount to something, and aside from the vegetables I picked today, there are hundreds of green tomatoes on schedule to ripen in, well, just about nine or ten days (thank you, tomato goddess).

When we get back it will be canning time. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment