Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Run, Lead, Head, Control, Manage, Direct...

When I first started teaching there was a large rolling cabinet in my room. About 3 1/2 feet tall, 3 1/2 feet wide, and probably 3 feet deep, it had four giant drawers and a little pull out shelf on the top. I used it as the teacher before me had, as a massive teaching podium/desk, and made it the focal point of the classroom. I sat on a tall stool behind it and in front of the chalkboards and from that height and vantage point presided with great authority over the edification of my students.

A few years ago, I pushed it off into a corner in favor of an Adirondack chair over by a bookcase, and today it stands empty, ready to be rolled out of here forever. After the move out and back in, I realized that I don't need most of the stuff that was tossed into those big drawers, and I could really use the floor space for some pillows or another comfy chair for the kids to read and write in.

Oh, I still preside, probably more than I should, but I certainly don't need any furniture to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment