Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cultivating Couture

Another unexpected complication of the whole gardening thing-- I don't know what to wear when I'm working there. Yesterday the weather was unseasonably warm, but shorts weren't really right for kneeling in the dirt digging up weeds and roots, and jeans were too hot. What to do? (Not usually one to fuss about my clothes, I went for capri-length cut-off jeans, a look as odd as it was practical.)

The fact that people we know keep stopping to chat doesn't help. "I thought that was you!" they call through the fence in delight, and my garden anonymity evaporates, making me self-conscious about not only my wardrobe, but all those awkward postures that seem to be part of the job, too-- I spent a good part of the day with my butt in the air.

It's humbling; that it is.

2 comments:

  1. Wear somthing comfty it never hurts to wear messy sweats and a shirt you hardly wear. That usually works for me when my mom gets her crazy new GARDENING ideas for our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're a friendly neighbor, though! XD Unfriendly neighbors don't get that kind of attention all the time!

    ReplyDelete