Saturday, May 15, 2010

Adjusting the Pace

Back in 1994 I tore my plantar fascia while out for a run on New Years Day. I thought I had kicked a rock into the curb; that's what it sounded like when it popped. Then I was unable to put any weight on my left foot. In the days before mobile phones, I found myself immobilized and blocks from home, but I made it eventually, hopping and cussing. My sister knew just what it was, and the next day I went to the podiatrist and he confirmed her diagnosis. I was in a cast for six weeks and have worn orthotics in my shoes ever since.

The doctor told me that I had the classic symptom of plantar fasciitis-- heel pain so bad that it was difficult to walk in the morning but that got better throughout the day. At the time, I chalked it up to my advanced age of 31. So this is what it's like to grow old, I winced as I rose from my bed each day, and then I literally gritted my teeth until it stopped hurting a half-hour or so later. Six weeks after my injury when the cast came off, I realized how dumb I was, and I've been pain-free for the last 16 years.

Until a couple of months ago, that is. One day I woke up and realized that that morning ache had sneaked up on me like weeds in the garden, and lately I've been hopping a lot more than I should. I haven't been back to the podiatrist, yet, but it's starting to slow me down. This afternoon we went for an easy walk along the canal, and it took me a while to stretch my foot enough so that I could stride without pain. Even so, it was slow-going, and the pace was frustrating to me, until...

We saw the snake swim right across the water, pull up the bank, and cross the tow path in front of us, before taking its time to disappear into the woods. Then there was the indigo bunting-- I've never seen one in person before, but this little fellow hopped along the path not ten feet from us, then paused on a raspberry cane to give us an excellent view, before flying off in the same direction the snake had gone. There were plenty of turtles, other birds, and a deer to see as well, and it made me realize that slowing down (temporarily) doesn't have to be all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment