Friday, April 23, 2010

Armed and Dangerous

I have a student who is outspokenly conservative in his political views. We live in a fairly liberal area, and so this student often finds himself in debates with his peers. A competitive person, he seems to thrive on the conflict, and I get the sense that sometimes he makes purposely outrageous remarks to see what will happen.

Today he tried to engage me in a little argumentative discussion concerning the second amendment. Usually, I try to keep my own opinion as elusive as a vagabond in a train yard, but it doesn't always work out that way.

"I think it should be legal to carry a sidearm," he started. "I want to carry one."

"Okay," I said.

"What about you?" he asked. "Would you carry one?"

"Probably not," I told him.

"Why?"

"I think it's dangerous," I answered.

"How can it be dangerous for you to have a gun to protect yourself?" he wanted to know.

"Well, I wouldn't be the only one who was armed," I said. "Think about the way some people act when they're mad."

"Emilio!" He named a kid with a terrible temper who's been in several fights.

"Okay," I said, "now imagine Emilio with a loaded weapon strapped to his side." He was silent. I shrugged. "Just something to think about, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment