Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rebuttal

There was an op/ed piece in the NY Times the other day that I found rather irritating. Entitled The Replacements, it was by a woman who just happens to be writing a book about her experience working as a substitute teacher the last couple of years. Her basic argument was that a) teachers always complain that the sub doesn't follow the plans we leave, and b) teachers always complain that our job is soooo hard, so c) why should we be surprised that an inexperienced temp can't follow the plans we leave?

(Um... because, that's not really the hard part?) There was also a laundry list of complaints starting with the fact that almost anyone with a clean background check and a high school diploma can get a sub job, also there's very little training offered to substitute teachers, and teachers either leave too much or too little information for the sub. Her solution? Don't let teachers take time off. Seriously.

I worked as a substitute for six months before I got my full-time teaching job, and it is a hard job, no question about it, but blaming teachers for the fact that the substitute system is less than perfect and implying that we are harming our students anytime we take a day of leave (which we are entitled to by our contracts) is galling.

When I first started teaching, I probably was one of those who left too much info; I was so anxious about my class running smoothly in my absence. I like to think I leave the right amount now; I definitely have a better idea about what kind of activities are easiest done with a sub. Even so, I don't really like to miss any days in my classroom, both because of lost instructional time, and also because making good sub plans is usually harder than teaching whatever it is myself. For that reason alone, the idea that most teachers take advantage of their sick and personal leave is ludicrous. What other profession do you have to do all the work except showing up when you need to take a day?

Public education is always an easy target, though, and in the end, I found it difficult to view this piece as much more than the work of an opportunistic writer taking pot shots at teachers in order to sell books.

No comments:

Post a Comment