Saturday, January 9, 2010

Don't Stop Believin

We spent some time over our winter break catching up on episodes of Glee. My students love this show, and there are a couple of things that I really like about it, too. The first is that it takes place in a school-- I'm a sucker for any story that is set either in a restaurant or a school, since those have been my own workplaces. Until recently, I felt like both were under-represented on TV, and I'm enjoying their current higher profile.

The other thing I like about Glee is the character development. They started the show with a handful of cookie-cutter stereotypes, and the writers and actors have done an impressive job creating complex characters over the course of the season. Each one of them is deeply flawed, but they all have redeeming qualities, too, and the characters have been allowed to surprise and disappoint us in every episode.

Oh yeah, and they sing and dance. What more could you possibly want?

No comments:

Post a Comment