Sunday, September 13, 2009

Focus

So, the kids in my class were working on their writing sample, and a little girl raised her hand. I went over to her seat. "Yes?" I whispered.

"I'm having a lot of trouble with this writing prompt," she told me, shaking her head.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I only write animal fiction," she said with dismay.

I'm pretty sure I tilted my head and raised an eyebrow. "Animal fiction? That's a pretty narrow genre," I said. "Are you any good?"

"Oh yeah," she assured me, "I'm good."

"Well," I shrugged, "I think if you can write animal fiction, you can write anything, right?" We made eye contact, and I continued. "So, go ahead-- give this one a shot."

She sighed, but she set her pencil to the page, and soon she found her way into a response, no talking animals involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment