Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'll be Back

Home from Tucson, we returned to 80-80 at 8 PM, heat and humidity, and the contrast couldn't have been starker. The very air was hydrating, and that nice, straight Arizona hair I'd been admiring on myself in all those mirrors in our hotel returned to its usual lame wave-- I really do need a trim.

My forehead was pressed against the window of the plane as we took off this morning, scanning hard for one last glimpse of Saguaro National Park and Mt. Lemmon, or even that javelina we saw trotting alongside the road yesterday morning. High above the city, I could see the dark green veins of the vegetation growing along the arroyos running across the desert just outside of town, and I thought how Tucson was a lot greener than I expected it to be; the amount of life flourishing in the brown desert, even in the middle of summer, really surprised me. As we flew east, leaving it all behind, I made a list of the things I want to do on my next visit.

See more cowboys
Watch the sun rise and set over the desert
Go back to Mount Lemmon
Hike the desert
Learn more plants and animals
Eat nopales
Star gaze
Enjoy temperatures below 90

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Arizona and it wasn't until I moved to San Francisco for graduate school that I discovered that my hair is actually quite curly. Now I live in Seattle and I have curls galore. I do miss the Saguaro and the clay colored hills at times, just not the heat.

    ReplyDelete