Friday, July 10, 2009

Excuse Me, Would You Like to Click for Me?

Today was the obligatory National Mall trip for out-of-town visitors. I never tire of this activity, folks. The day was a touch hotter and a hair more humid than the four glorious days that preceded it, but it didn't matter: we had an eight-year-old who had never been to Washington D.C. before. Starting with the metro, going on to the Air and Space Museum, walking down past the Washington Monument, enjoying good views of both the White House and Jefferson Memorial, and ending up at the Lincoln Memorial, ours was a very pleasant visit. And we would have kept on going across the Memorial Bridge on to Arlington Cemetery and the Metro stop there, except that Grandma had sore feet, so we hailed a cab to take us back to Pentagon City, where we'd parked. It was all good, and I want to let you know that there are 52 steps up to the Lincoln Memorial, the same as cards in a deck. President Lincoln had a big crowd of people up there with him, but I noticed how courteous they all were, waiting their turn to be photographed with the big guy. As I stood to the side admiring the organic cooperation of this very international crowd, a man approached me, camera extended. "Excuse me, would you like to click for me?" he asked. I certainly did-- in fact I clicked twice, just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment