Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Still slicing

Today, I put the dish sponge in the refrigerator.

I got home a little earlier than usual-- the irony being that the reason was that I had a meeting. It was away from my school, and once it ended at 3:55, there was no rational reason to go back to my desk. I stopped at the grocery, but I was home at least an hour before the usual time. What to do with such a windfall? I opted to cook.

I cook almost every night, not as a chore, but as recreation. The actions of slicing, dicing, sauteeing and their kin comfort me after my day of talking and reading and supporting children in being their best selves. I must think, but not in the same ways, and so I unwind. But, today, with the extra time, I wanted to get some extra things done-- banana bread from the too ripe fruit on the counter, breakfast sandwiches for the freezer, blanched veggies to toss into salads on other nights-- and I was cooking dinner, too. (Turnips were involved, but that's all I'll say.)

Preheat, scramble, slice, mash, marinate, whisk, open, measure, taste, julienne, bake, consider, melt, add, drain, trim, fry, rinse, wrap, shock, steam, taste, roast, sprinkle, check, wrap, take the dish sponge out of the fridge, and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, okay. Why was the sponge in the fridge? I'm thinking you mean the dish sponge, but might you possibly have been referring to a sponge cake, or a rising wad of bread dough?

    I'm intrigued. Congrats on finding an extra hour--way cool.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point-- thanks, Elizabeth. I've revised, and I hope it's more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the use of "kin" here.

    ReplyDelete