Thursday, April 2, 2009

Super Sentence Finalists

I wrote about this challenge in the March 13th post-- One of the kids on the Lit Mag staff came up with it: "Write the best sentence of your life!" We had about 50 entries, and these are the top 15, as narrowed down by the students on the editorial staff. See what you think.

1. The crazy, man-eating, blood-sucking green dolphin sucked the blue blood out of his master named Maddie Washington Clooney-Key.

2. Family is pretty good, except for the fighting.

3. As she cries, the tears streaming down her face, staining her cheeks with black eyeliner and mascara, my heart is broken.

4. The sun shined through the dirty-paned window, and I knew one day I would escape.

5. The people that live in your head only speak in your head.

6. If it comes when you climb, you will fall; if it comes when you run, you will stop; when it comes when you are not ready, you will always fail; it is fear.

7. Sprinting through the wet, pitch-black jungle, I darted through the murky rivers and mucked through the mud to escape the shaggy figure clawing at my back: whack!

8. I leaped for my life as the building burst into flames, sending shards of fire blasting past me.

9. Never lose faith in something you have always dreamed of.

10. In the age of the modern, the high-class, and the intelligent, where there also lives the traditionalist, the low-class and the less fortunate, in the land of hope, somewhere in the United States, begins our story.

11. As I walked out into the blinding sunlight that often follows a severe storm, like the one we had just experienced, and watched the last cloud vanish beneath the horizon in a slow and peaceful motion, I realized that everything before me represented some part of my life; that although some difficult times lie behind me, and there would, no doubt, be more horrific periods ahead, I could enjoy this happiness and peace for now.

12. Everyone was watching the moon soar closer and closer into the Earth: while we were frightened, knowing the apocalypse was coming nearer with every second of every minute of every hour, we couldn't help marveling at its size: even our planet seemed to hold her breath, just an exhale of wind every now and then.

13. They listened for the rain to dry its tears and then walked out to see a bright spectrum ofcolors smiling after misery.

14. Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to.

15. You are you, and you should be proud of that.

2 comments:

  1. I think many of these are the first lines of amazing short stories. Somehow they intrigue me with their mystery and prommise of more below the surface. I like especially the one about voices in the head. yep, yep.

    Great post--
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete