Thursday, April 23, 2009

Desk Jockey

A friend walked into my classroom during my planning time this afternoon and stopped in astonishment. "You're not behind your desk!" she exclaimed. "What's the occasion?"

I don't know what I was doing-- picking up papers the kids had left behind, shutting down the lap top that goes with the projector, returning a book to its shelf in my classroom library, something common and teacher-y enough, and her surprise took me by surprise. What does she mean by that? Do I really spend that much time at my desk? What if I do? All these questions occurred to me as I made my way back to my desk to sit down after she had gone.

I spun my comfy office chair around and looked out the window as I considered her words. In a moment or two, I swiveled back to my computer, checked my e-mail, sent a couple of quick replies, and then continued working on the student report I had started earlier. I needed to check my desk calendar, and my eyes fell on all the brightly colored post-its that make up my organizational system. I peeled a couple of them up and tossed them in the recycling bin next to me, satisfied that I had completed their charges.

I don't get a lot of desk-time when the students are there; I don't know many teachers who do. My teaching day starts at 7:40 and I teach straight through to 12:45, with 35 minutes for lunch. When my last class leaves my room for PE and electives, it's like a second job starts. There are meetings and phone calls and e-mails and paperwork and an assortment of little questions from counselors and colleagues. Then there's the grading and the planning. It's a lot to do, but I love my job, and I work hard to get it done. Personally, I think sitting at my desk helps.

The truth is, though, that there's really an infinite amount of work to be done in teaching. I could work 100 hours a week and still think of things I might do that would further benefit my students. When you can put an actual child's face to your labor, it's awfully hard to find the boundary between all-I-could and not-quite-enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment