Monday, March 16, 2009

SOLSC: Day 16

WHAT SPICE IN A SPICE RACK BEST REPRESENTS YOU?
WRITE ABOUT IT.

(This prompt is courtesy of Corbett Harrison and The Daily Topic for Writers.)

If I had to pick strictly from the spice rack, I would have to say I'm ginger, because it can go in both sweet and savory dishes, and it has a little bite to it. But if I could choose from herbs, too, then I might be rosemary, because it's one of my favorites, but, then again, it symbolizes fidelity, and so I might be closer to marjoram, because it's good in turnip soup.

This topic reminds me of a story I once heard. A king asked his daughter how much she loved him, and she replied, "I love you like the salt in my bread." He was very offended by this answer and banished her. Before she left, she bribed the royal baker to prepare the next batch of bread without salt, and when it was served to the king that night, he was most displeased and demanded to see the baker right away. Of course, when the baker explained that the bread was simply missing the salt, the king understood his daughter's love and called her home.

1 comment: