Saturday, March 14, 2009

SOLSC Day 14

It's rainy and cold here. Last weekend we had unseasonably springy temps in the 70's, but when I woke up this morning, this gray Saturday reminded me a little bit of those endless weekends when I was a kid. My gosh, back then it seemed like the raw, wet, late-winter weather went on forever, and come March, my brother and sister and I ran out of things to do in the house by early Saturday afternoon. My parents had plenty to keep them busy, however, and so I have memories of a lot of wandering through the house, sighing. I probably threw myself on the couch or my bed a few times, too.

I have no children of my own, but I am aunt, by blood and friendship, to more than a dozen kids, aged 1 to 16. They are fun to have around any time-- an afternoon, overnight, weekend, or even for a week or three in the summer. In fact, we have a couple of god-daughters here for the weekend right now.

We had a great day today. We made waffles for breakfast, caught a super-corny magician/comedian at the local cinema and drafthouse, hiked a national park with the dog, watched a couple of movies, and then spent some more kitchen time on homemade pasta, meatballs and sauce. Up next? Roasting marshmallows in the fireplace for s'mores-- cause that's what aunties are for.

1 comment:

  1. No kids for me either, but it made teaching so much more intimate. The coming of spring, how wonderful is that!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete