Friday, March 13, 2009

SOLSC Day 13

We're running a writing contest here at school, and one of the students suggested this deceptively simple challenge: Write the best sentence you can. It's genius, because everyone can write a sentence, and the kids are pretty enthusiastic. The teachable moments are many... all of a sudden, sixth graders want to know how to use a semi-colon, just to stretch that baby out a little. Or, how about a dash? What do you do with those things, anyway? Active voice? Parallel construction? Subordinate clauses? These have all become secret weapons in the quest to write that great sentence.

The judges will look for a clear and memorable meaning, strong and/or beautiful words, and careful compositon, well-edited. To advertise the contest, I've been running a great-sentence-a-day on the morning announcements. So far, my two favorite examples have been from SE Hinton: When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home. and Alice Walker: Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring, and because it has fresh peaches in it.

This is where you come in-- I'd really appreciate some suggestions for the next couple of weeks. Will you post a sentence that you love (or at least one that have a crush on?)

Many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment